A checklist of things you should all have done by Monday 11th October, look on this as a minimum, some of you might manage more...
- At least 2 really effective full page linear compositions based on your letterforms - these shouldn't include tone or colour so they can be photocopied and worked into with other media.
- 1 or more carefully built up A3 tonal/pattern based compositions developed from your linear work - use pencil, biro or fineliners.
- Photocopier inverts of your tonal pieces.
- Colour collage piece created by combining 2 or more "colour conversion" copies of your tonal work.
- 2 pages of well presented thoughtful research into Jasper Johns (number/letter work). Include at least one sensitive visual response.
Sample photographic Alphabet
- A photographic Alphabet, find or create letterforms in the environment around you and record them with the camera. Pay attention to the aesthetic aspects of each of your 26 shots (lighting, composition etc.). Present these effectively in the sketchbook.
Some of you have already started to experiment with other collage and colour work, which is great to see. If you are looking to extend your work you might try things like cut letter collages from different papers or getting started on colour or digital variations of your initial designs.
We will all be making more developments based on our compositions using colour, printmaking and PhotoShop. You will need to look at a second 2D Artist from the brief (e.g. Michael Craig-Martin or David Carson), and research the relief work of Frank Stella in preparation for moving into 3D in the last week before half term.
After consideration we have decided that extending the project into a 4th week and tackling some more substantial 3D work will be really beneficial to your skills, more information on this to follow.